FOURTH EDITION OF THE INTERNATIONAL EXLIBRIS COMPETITION VARNA 2021
ORGANIZER LARGO ART GALLERY
C O M P E T I T I O N R U L E S
- Participants: The Competition is open to all artists above the age of 16. There is no entry fee.
- Entry form: Every participant must fill in the Application (Entry) form and send it together with the works submitted. Works which are not accompanied by a completed and signed application form will not be reviewed.
- Theme: There is no theme, except for the Prize in the name of Jordan Petkov, which’s only rule to qualify is that at least one of the artworks is dedicated to Jordan Petkov*.
* Jordan Petkov is the founder of Largo Art Gallery and without his support, dedication and love for art, the International ExLibris Competition Varna would not have existed. In 2020, Jordan was taken from us by the COVID-19 virus, but he continues to live in the hearts of all who were fortunate enough to know him. From 2021 Largo Art Gallery will award a special prize in the name of Jordan Petkov to a participant who will create a special exlibris in his name. The jury for this award will be Jordan’s family. You can read more about the prize in article 14. Prizes.
- Number of entries: Participants may send maximum 5 (five) different bookplates, each of them in 3 (three) signed copies. The works must have been created in the period 2018 – 2021. If the artist participates in the competition for the first time, bookplates, created earlier than 2018 are allowed.
- Techniques: Only entries made using the traditional original graphic techniques will be accepted – Intaglio techniques (C, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8), Relief techniques (X, X1, X2, X3, X4, X5, X6, X7), Flatbed, stencil techniques (L1, L2, L3, L4, S1, S2). Computer designs, photocopies, drawings or sketches will not be accepted.
- Dimensions: The image (engraved part) of the exlibris must be no larger than 180 x 180 mm. Paper size must be no larger than 290 mm x 210 mm.
- Text: Every image has to include the name of the owner and words: “Exlibris”, “Bookplate” or some other similar expression (e.g. “From the library of…”). The bookplates must have (under the image, written with a pencil) the artist’s signature, year of creation, technique and title (if the work has one), print number or abbreviation – E/A, A/P.
- Information: On the back side of the paper every bookplate must have the following information, written with pencil, in English, with print letters: 1) last name, first name, country of the artist, 2) title of the work, 3) technique used, 4) dimensions of the engraved part in mm, 5) year the work was created, 6) full versions of initials or abbreviations, if used.
Only entries meeting requirements listed above will be evaluated in the Competition. All those missing one or more of the requisites will not be reviewed.
- The submission: The works should be sent without glass, frame or passé-partout, by registered air-mail as PRINTED MATTERIAL, declaring “NO COMMERCIAL VALUE”. The works should be packaged in a solid and waterproof package, in the safest manner to avoid any kind of damage. We advise that you write on the package “PRINTED MATERIALS, DO NOT FOLD”. The organizers accept no responsibility for problems arising from the fault of the postal and courier services.
- Address: The package with bookplates must be sent to the following postal address:
Largo Art Gallery
8 Han Krum Str.
For countries outside of Europe: entries must be sent before 20th of August 2021. (according to the date of the post stamp of the sender).
For countries in Europe: entries must be sent before 30th of August 2021. (according to the date of the post stamp of the sender).
Postage expenses are at the account of the sender. A confirmation of receiving of the package will be sent by e-mail.
- Exhibition: The Competition Jury, composed of 5 members, will select the prizes winners and the artists for participating at Competition Every selected artist will be notified by e-mail. The exhibition will be displayed at Largo Art Gallery from 22 September till 22 October 2021.
- Catalogue: The organizer will publish a coloured catalog where every selected for the exhibition artist will be presented with one work. The selected artists will receive a copy of printed catalogue free of charge.
- First Prize: 800 EUR;
- Second Prize: 400 EUR;
- Third Prize: 200 EUR;
- Prize for Young Artist (under age of 30): 200 EUR;
- Special Award after the name of Edward Penkov;
- Prize in the form of a bronze plaque of Association of Artists, Varna;
- Special award in the name of Jordan Petkov for an exlibris dedicated to Jordan Petkov, founder of Largo Art Gallery (read in article 3): 400 EUR;
- Sponsor awards;
- The Jury will also attributе Honourable Mentions and Certificates of Honour to the exlibrises deserving honorary awards.
All winners will receive their awards personally in their bank accounts after reducing of the sum with tax according to Bulgarian Tax Law.
- Rights: The submitted artworks will not be returned, whether they are admitted to the competition or not and will remain property of the graphic collection of the organizer of the event: Largo Art Gallery. The Organizer reserves the right to reproduce and exhibit any work accepted, for promotional or cultural purposes and/or reproduce works on website of the competition, catalogues, posters, etc. with no commercial purpose.
- Acceptance of the Rules: With completing and signing of the Application form the participants endow submitted works to the fund of the Competition, accept all the conditions and requirements of the Competition Rules above and the Jury’s decisions.